I’m not sure that my photography does these little beauties justice. They’re so delicious, absolutely packed with flavour, perfect as a starter for a dinner party or for a lunchtime treat with a small side salad.
Step By Step Instructions
Prepare all the ingredients before you start. Some people like to remove the stork and scrape the gills from Portobello mushrooms. I’ve made this recipe both ways and personally, I don’t think it really matters, although you can fit more filling in if you scrape out the mushroom, and it’s so delicious, it’s probably worth doing. Once that’s done, put the mushrooms on a lined baking tray and pop them into the oven for ten minutes at 200 degrees.
Fry the garlic and onion in a frying pan until they start to go brown. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chopped olives, walnut pieces, oregano and breadcrumbs. You can add a little extra oil from the sun-dried tomatoes if things get too dry. Add the mustard leaves. Once the leaves start to wilt, add the vegan feta cheese. The mixture should start to bind as the ‘cheese’ melts.
Put the stuffing onto the mushrooms and put them back into the oven for another ten minutes. Serve with a side salad.
2 tsp Olive Oil
2 Portobello Mushrooms
50g Vegan Feta Cheese
100g Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
1 Red Onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
10g Walnuts, chopped
25g Sundried Tomatoes, chopped
25g Black Olives, chopped
Handful of mustard leaves (or rocket or spinach)
1 tsp Oregano
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oven to 200 degrees and line a baking tray
2. Remove the stalk and scrape the gills from the mushrooms
3. Spray the mushrooms with a little oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and put them in the oven for 10 mins
4. Soften the onions and garlic in a little olive oil
5. Add tomatoes, olives, walnuts and oregano and cook for 2 mins
6. Add breadcrumbs and mustard leaves and cook until wilted.
7. Add the feta
8. As the feta melts, the mixture should bind together
9. Place the mixture on to the mushrooms and return to the oven for a further ten minutes
10. Scatter with parsley and garnish with a side salad